Friday, December 19, 2008

42

I got to see my geek chic 16-year old goddaughter Sarah during Thanksgiving weekend.

A friend set Sarah up with a guy who later met her at the mall. (I totally love the mall, btw. It's about so much more than shopping.) Sarah, never at a loss, quickly prepared a written test for him to complete. I begged for a printout, and I didn't even have to beg very hard.

It has the abstract painting series name: Dorkitude Test 1. She created spaces for the name, date, and period. Period. For a guy who is expected to complete this at the mall. And that's putting aside the dis inherent in asking him to enter his name, as though he's competing with throngs of other adolescent men. Her mom told me that he received a B plus.

The test features questions like "Pokemon?"

I don't even want to get into the right answer to that, let alone what counts for extra credit. The scary part is that my friend Lisa (who, each time she saw me after Thanksgiving, asked me if I had the test with me) managed to score well on most of the questions.

My favorite question, which I couldn't answer but which fully half my friends can, is:

What does nobody expect?


At least I knew the answer to life, the universe and everything.

No comments: