Saturday, August 29, 2009

advanced placement

Yesterday I hiked with Rachel and Alice, the girls who adopted Sequoia's sister. This is Alice's fall schedule (she turns 15 at the end of October):

1: world lit/tebbe. 2: ap chem/glimme. 3: honors algebra 2/henri. 4: spanish 5-6/castillo. 5: adv photo/daly. 6: world history/chodrow-reich.

I swiped her schedule from Facebook and she's a teenager, which is why nothing is capitalized. Don't ask me to explain further; all I know is that teenagers capitalize only upon threat of terrorist attack. Alice's sister Rachel is a senior and is taking ap calculus and ap physics and a bunch of other stuff I can't remember, as well as writing her college applications. After school they play soccer 3-4 times a week.

All this made me realize that I don't just lack a college education; I lack a high school education as well. They're such smart, capable, organized girls. And I'm super super happy that at least some of our future voters will understand basic concepts from science.

But it's still like pulling teeth to get Alice to execute a feminist analysis of a teen chick flick. (17 Again? You're really gonna tell girls not to use condoms?) In that sense, the schools are still failing their students.

No comments: